Friday, September 29, 2017

Friday News



Happy Friday!
We started our morning with message and calendar time (focusing on counting, patterns, and ten frames). We then transitioned to math, where the students really showed me what they know about hidden partners. I can't stress enough how impressed I am with their grasp of our current math concepts! 

We were able to again go outside for a sunny recess. The kiddos are playing so well together! After recess, we went right into reading groups. The students worked on letters, sounds, the sight word I, handwriting, and listening. 

When reading groups were over, we did a mini lesson on opinion writing. We even practiced giving our own opinion in a sentence (I like _____ because ______.). Ask your kiddo what an opinion is ("It's what I think!").

During writing, our class earned their last marble for being such wonderful listeners! This means that we got to vote on a class party!!! The winner was a PJ party. So, on Monday (10/2), please send your kiddo to school in their PJs (no slippers, please). We did decide that they can also bring in a small, stuffed animal. 

Our afternoon was filled with whole group reading (hearing certain sounds, using picture clues for the read aloud, and practicing tapping out sounds). After show and share, the students had their P.E. and Music time, followed by quiet time and afternoon recess.

Important Information:
1. I collected communication folders today. The folders will be sent home again on Monday (10/2).

2. Homework "officially" starts on Monday (10/2). 
-Read Take Home Book
-Practice the Magic Five (letter ID, letter sounds, sight words, number ID, and counting to 100)
-Play...especially boardgames as a family! 

3. Take Home Books will be coming home on Monday (10/2). Included in your child's take home book bag will be a note about how the books will work.