Monday, October 23, 2017

Monday News

Happy Monday!
We had a wonderful day together! We started with number morning work, followed by an introduction to our new reading unit - Every story has characters. We then did our shared reading, where we focused on the main characters and different punctuation in the story. After our whole group reading lesson, we did our morning message, calendar, and Daily News routine. I introduced the students to our new letter (Ss) and sight words for the week (the & we). 

We went outside for recess. It was a perfect fall day! 

We then came inside for reading groups, where we worked on letter ID, letter sounds, main idea, ABC books, handwriting, and listening (Three Hens and a Peacock).  

During writing time, we continued to learn about opinion writing. Today was special though because the kinders chose the animal they liked best (dog or cat) and then tapped out and wrote their sentence independently. I purposely chose dog and cat again because we'd practiced it before AND they are both words that are easy to tap out. I'm beyond impressed with the kinder writing! Give your kiddo a high-five tonight for working so hard!

After lunch and recess, we did a phonics lesson, mentor read (focusing on main character and retell), P.E., snack, show & share, quiet time, science, and free choice centers. 

Letters Taught:
- Mm
-Aa
-Ss

Sight Words Taught:
-I
-like
-the
-we
       
Important Information:
1. Communication Folders came home today!

2. Take Home Books were collected, exchanged, and sent home today.

3. Please continue to practice the Magic Five with your kiddo!

4. If you haven't already, please email me if you'd like to join us on our Dec. 14th field trip!

5. Please send in $10 cash for your child's field trip lunch. I will collect all the money ahead of time and then make little field trip bags for each child (with their money inside).