Friday, November 17, 2017

Friday News + A Note From Ms. Morgan

Happy Friday!

Dear families,

Hi, my name is Morgan Leifer, and I am a student teacher in your child’s class. I am currently a senior at Whitworth University with minors in English language learner instruction and reading instruction.

I want to introduce myself as I will begin my full time period of student teaching on February 5th and will continue until the middle of May. Currently I have the opportunity to be in your child’s classroom about three days a week and have had the greatest experience. During this time, I have enjoyed getting to know your children, support them, and begin to teach some of our math lessons. I am so thankful to have got to work alongside Mrs. Snider for the past few years to inform my current and future teaching.

During the duration of my student teaching I will be working with your child and the class as a whole, and will begin by teaching module 3 of the math unit, on Comparison of Length, Weight, Capacity, and Numbers to 10. I am excited to continue my time in our classroom and working with your children. I will gradually increase responsibility during as the year progresses and eventually will teach full time for a period of the year. Please contact me with any questions you may have. 
I am looking forward to a great rest of the school year! :)

Sincerely, 
Miss Morgan 

We had a great day!
Today was a wonderful and fun Friday! We started off the day with our morning sight word and letter work. We found which letters matched, found the sight words in the word search, and counted syllables. I (Ms. Morgan) had the opportunity to teach our math lesson about triangles this morning. Throughout the day we got to save the chocolate! We tested our engineering structures we created and we tried to keep the chocolate from melting under the heat lamp, all of our structures were fantastic and saved the chocolcate! There are pictures below of the students' models and plans. We earned our class party today as well and we got to watch our movie, which was broken into 3 separate parts throughout the day so we could finish it. We had music and PE today and enjoyed our fun jammies and crazy hair! Have a great weekend!











Phonics Fun
This week we have been learning about the letter /i/ this week. Our sight words this week are “can” and “she.” We have been practicing letter identification and sounds in reading groups. Students have been practicing skills including segmentation (breaking apart words into individual syllables), identifying sight words in a range of places such as poems, books, on activity sheets to write out the word, find it in a word search, and identifying their letters by circling them and eliminating non-examples. The purpose of this activity is to increase students’ phonemic awareness and literacy.

Home Help
Some activities you may do with your child at home include reading, practicing writing the sight words and letters, and creating sight words and letters. You may select a book to read with your child and as you read the story aloud to them ask them about some of the sight words they notice in the text. Choosing a book with strong visual cues and sight words are helpful. Students may write these words as they read as well and can practice writing their sight words on provided activity sheets, or with tactile practice such as play dough or sand that may be provided if needed.
Students will use the play dough to create their letters and sight words, after they have created the words and letters, students will trace them with their finger to increase engagement and memory.
Letter sound cards may also be provided to practice with your child and increase phonemic awareness. 

Letters Taught:
-Mm
-Aa
-Ss
-Tt
-Nn
-Ii

Sight Words Taught
*Practice Reading and Writing These*
-I
-like
-the
-we
-see
-go
-of
-in
-can
-she

Important Information:
1. Communication Folders were collected and will come home on Monday! Just FYI - in the communication folders, there was information about how to log into RAZ Kids. RAZ Kids is the exact program that I've printed their Take Home Books from. With this log in information, your child has access to many more books at their Take Home Book level. There are also many fun incentives that encourage reading! 

2. Please continue to practice the Magic Five with your kiddo!

3. Our field trip permission slip was sent home in your child's folder on Monday. Please KEEP the information letter and RETURN the permission slip as soon as possible. Please let me know if you have any questions!

4. Please remember to utilize RAZ Kids for extra reading practice.

5. Please send in $10 cash for your child's field trip lunch. I will collect all the money ahead of time and then make little field trip bags for each child (with their money inside).  If you are volunteering on the trip, please also send in $3.50 cash for your bus cost asap (I will pay for all volunteers at one time on the day of the trip). Lastly. if you have a stamp, please send it in a labeled bag for your child's Christmas card.

6. Just a loving reminder that next week we don't have school on 11/23 and 11/24 for Thanksgiving Break!